Monday, November 14, 2005

Cape Girardeau Update

I predicted it, and so it was...the 1st and 2nd grade boys won the championship, 6-2. I also heard that our 5th and 6th grils team finished fourth, losing a playoff game in a shoot out. For those of you wondering, a game ending in a tie goes into a 5 minute overtime; if no one scores, they play another 5 (it's sudden death - or as they call it in soccer, the "golden goal"). If it's still tied, a shootout begins - five players from each team, alternating penalty shots. If it stays even, they do it again with 5 different players. It is excruciating to watch...especially when your kid misses.

Am I sure of the length of the overtime or the number of players involved in the shootout? No. I've never refereed a game that went into overtime. Here's hoping I never will.

No comments: